Saturday, February 28, 2009

10K Results for Randy

I was the only one of our family to participate today. Reed had a grandson birthday to attend (flu got him earlier also) and Sarah had a migraine headache and soreness from a softball game. I did something the night before but went with the program anyway. I was sore from dancing at a party.

The good news for me was a record breaking race. I surpassed the best speed of all my races, short and long. This 10K run had a very slow start and I did not think it was possible to improve my speed over other races, but I did. My best 5 mile speed to date was 8.1 minutes per mile. Today I finished with a 8.07 minutes per mile over a distance of 6.2 miles (10K). That put me in the top 20% of my class. I was the oldest in my age bracket but finished 9th in a peer field of 56 runners, Best time in my class was 42 minutes, 28 seconds by a runner from Angleton, Texas. I finished in 50 minutes, 31 seconds. If I had been one year older, this speed would have gained me sixth place in a field of 27. Overall, I finished 757th of the 2518 men running in the 10K.

No comments: