Monday, November 24, 2008

First Race of the season for Randy - Run through the Woods

I ran this YMCA race last year and did well. It will be a challenge to do as well this year. The race is Turkey Day, in the morning. Many people will run in this 5 mile race.

There have been too many interruptions in my training this year. This last one was a double whammy. I worked out with a new program of weights as designed especially by a YMCA trainer for my running. That was just bad timing, because it stiffened all my muscles right before this race. Not good. Then the next day, I helped a neighbor to recover her son from a fall, trying to get from his wheelchair to his sofa. He was in dire need and I did not think about what I was doing to help him except for his pain and necessity. Trouble was, the guy weighed a lot and I pulled something in my back in the process. That put me out of training for 4 days less than two weeks before the race.

So here I am back again. I have run twice without hurting the back at all. Yesterday was a day of testing my back and laying off of speed. I bought new shoes today and ran a decent run with them - 8.7 minutes per mile average over 5.8 miles. I still did not put a lot of speed into the run, so I have more to give. I will run the next couple of days also but not much on Wednesday. I plan to run significant distance tomorrow but not with speed. It is hard for me to run at a slower pace but I can and will.

No comments: